Originally formed in 1892 The South Staffordshire Golf Club ranks among the oldest of Golf Clubs in the Midlands. Play first commenced in 1893 with a nine-hole layout on Penn Common about three miles south of Wolverhampton, and a further nine holes were added in 1898. In 1908 the Club moved to its current site at Danescourt, Tettenhall, about two-and-half miles west of Wolverhampton. A new Clubhouse was built and Harry Vardon was commissioned to design the layout of the 18 hole course. Over the years the course has been ‘tweaked’ by such golfing luminaries as Harry Colt in 1914, James Braid in 1938 and more recently Donald Steel.
Over the past 100 years the Club has been proud to witness the play of many of the leading professionals of the day. In the early years, Harry Vardon and George Duncan, Ted Ray and Sandy Herd. In the 1950’s the Charity Exhibition Challenge Matches with Peter Alliss and Dai Rees. The inaugural Double Diamond Tournament in 1971 contested between England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales with Tommy Horton, Christy O’Connor, Bernard Gallagher and Brian Huggett amongst the team members. The Carlsberg European Womens’ Championship, and more recently the Skins Game between Ryder Cup Stars, Ian Woosnam, Peter Baker, David Gilford and Paul Broadhurst.
The South Staffordshire Golf Club has hosted amateur golf at the highest level including many County events as well as the EGU Champion Club Tournament in 1992, the Senior Ladies’ British Open Championship in 2003, the England v Scotland U16 Boys’ International in 2008 and the Midland Open Amateur in 2010.
In 1992 the Club celebrated its Centenary and in 2008 the Club marked 100 years of golf on its course here at Danescourt by launching its Men’s Open Tournament, The Vardon Bowl.
Thanks must go to the Club’s historian, the 1991 Captain, Trevor Boliver for compiling this page covering the history of the South Staffordshire Golf Club,
The Formation at Penn Common
The conception of playing golf in Wolverhampton is undoubtedly accredited to the Scots, in particular Mr Mein Wilkie, Dr Biggam and Mr Thomas Graham, who along with the support of other distinguished gentlemen of the area such as, Mr Charles Tertius Mander (four times Mayor of Wolverhampton), Mr W. R. Lysaght, Mr Neville Hanbury Mander and Mr W. Wentworth Walker, became the founder members of The South Staffordshire Golf Club.
The first recorded mention of The South Staffordshire Golf Club was in the ‘Express and Star’ of Saturday 22nd October 1892 when it was stated that it was proposed to start golf in the town. The paper reported that there would be no difficulty in recruiting enough members but that the problem was somewhere to play.
The first recorded minutes are of the meeting held on Monday 24th October 1892, when the proposition to form a golf club called The South Staffordshire Golf Club and to play at Penn Common was carried unanimously.
Penn Common lay approximately three miles south of Wolverhampton and was already held for the grazing of cattle and horses by Freeholders of the Parish of Penn who derived these rights as a result of ownership of land and tenements surrounding the Common. The Common was also frequented by gypsies who camped there and it also had a racecourse laid out on it. The Club would have to gain the consent of the majority of Commoners and the Lord of the Manor, the Earl of Dudley, before a course could be constructed.
Following a meeting on 30th December, 1892 and an inspection of the proposed course, it was agreed that
the Club would spend £50 on ditching and draining the Common – a service which would be a benefit to golf
and improve the grazing and passage across the Common. The Club also agreed to pay an annual rent of £10. The Freeholders insisted on a resolution that any damage done to a person or an animal by golf ball would be compensated by the Club. The golfers also agreed to play in red coats in order to be visible to other users of the Common and on January 12th 1893 the Freeholders gave their permission for golf to be played on Penn Common.
By now, sixty-five gentlemen and fifteen ladies had joined the Club, and by April 1893 nine holes had been laid out and were ready to play. With agreement of the tenant, William Lloyd Roberts, the front room of the Barley Mow Inn was to be used as a clubhouse and the Club’s first Professional, Samuel Jones from Hoylake was appointed on a weekly salary of 15 shillings. During the first two years of its life the Club hired and fired three professionals. In 1894 Jack Burns was appointed on a salary of a guinea a week. He had been the Open Champion of 1888 and in doing so had earned just £8 in prize money. In under a year he had returned to Scotland.
The Club officers were appointed, Dr Biggam becoming the first Captain and Mr Mein Wilkie Hon. Treasurer, a post he was to occupy until his death in 1935. T. F. Waterhouse was the Hon. Secretary. The Earl of Dartmouth accepted the invitation to become President of the Club and the following accepted Vice-Presidency, The Duke of Sutherland. The Earl of Dudley, Lord Wrottesley, Rt. Hon. Henry H. Fowler, M.P., Rt. Hon. C. P. Villiers, M.P., Rt. Hon. C. A. Staveley-Hill, Q.C., M.P., Sir Alfred Hickman, M.P., Mr W. Wentworth Walker, Mr C. T. Mander then Mayor of Wolverhampton and the Reverend C. H. Cole-Webb, the Vicar of Penn.
By 1896, 175 members including 65 ladies had been enrolled. The entrance fee was 3 guineas and annual subscription was 2 guineas. A separate nine-hole course was laid out for the exclusive use of the ladies who now formed their own committee. The Club bought the Barley Mow Inn and installed a tenant to run the beer house keeping the clubhouse part strictly separate. Beer was sold at 2d per pint.
In December, 1898 it was decided to extend the course to eighteen holes at a cost of £105 3s 9d. The new holes were finished by the summer of 1899 making a course of 4,700 yards. The clubhouse attached to the Barley Mow was extended in 1900 but the old inn was retained by the Club and was still open to the general public.
By 1903 The South Staffordshire Golf Club was well established with a strong playing membership, a good fixture list and thriving clubhouse. However, there were several drawbacks. The course had clay subsoil which meant the links was wet for much of the year, and the course was proving to be too short for the modern rubber-cored ‘gutty’ ball which was soon to be replaced by the Haskell golf ball.
By 1904 it was impossible to play the ladies’ course for long periods after heavy rain as it was badly drained. Agreement was reached for the ladies to abandon their course and play on the men’s course at all times except after 12.30pm on Saturdays.
The course was not easily accessible at that time from Wolverhampton – the nearest tram route being a mile away. Most men walked or arrived on horseback. Also, there was the problem of the many different uses made of the Common, most of them conflicting with golf. Walkers and horse riders interfered with golf, the Volunteer Regiments used the Common for manoeuvres, pleasure parties came in brakes and traps and in the summer many picnics were held. In addition, the relationship with the Freeholders remained uneasy, particularly when they felt that there grazing rights were threatened and their permission had to be received before any improvements to the course could be made.
The solution to all of these problems was to seek a new course which could be longer and be more accessible and private.
The Move to Tettenhall 1908
In 1905 the idea of using Oxley Park as a golf course was raised and schemes were also considered at Himley Park and Wrottesley Park. New House Farm at Merry Hill was seriously considered as there was room to create a course of 5,400 yards compared to 4,700 yards on the Common, however although a majority of the Committee were in favour of the scheme it was pursued no further.Land on the edge of Dunstall Park was considered and rejected and attention turned to a plot of land at Danescourt, Tettenhall which had belonged to the recently deceased W.S. Loveridge. The Committee thought the site was very suitable and resolved to invite Willie Park, J.H. Taylor, James Braid or Harry Vardon to inspect the site and offer advice. The Committee finally agreed to invite Vardon, provided he would come within thirty days and charge no more than ten guineas. Vardon duly inspected the site and pronounced it highly suitable for golf.
The initial offer of £5,500 for the land was refused. Further enquiries were made about land at Compton and at Oxbarn Farm near Penn Fields. With the Committee undecided which project to pursue George Coburn, the Midland Professional Champion, from Sandwell Park was invited to give his opinion as to which site was the best and he strongly favoured Danescourt.In March 1907, the Committee agreed to recommend the Danescourt scheme at a General Meeting of the Club. The members agreed to the scheme and to an increase in subscriptions. A twenty five year lease at £150 per annum was negotiated with an option to purchase for £6,000 inclusive of timber and a site for a clubhouse, provided the site for the clubhouse did not exceed 2/9d per square yard.
Arrangements were made to move to Tettenhall in 1908 but some members decided to stay on at the Common and play at the new Penn Golf Club which was to take over the old course.
The new course at Danescourt would solve many of the problems the golf club experienced at Penn. There was room to lay out a much longer course which would match the recent improvements in the quality of golf balls. The land had much better drainage and access was much easier for the membership. Many members lived nearby and the electric tramway which ran from the centre of Wolverhampton was extended in 1908 to a new terminus at the bottom of the Wergs Road, just a short distance away from the course.
Plans for the layout of the course were made by Harry Vardon and by George Coburn, the Midland Professional Champion, from Sandwell Park. The layout approved by the Committee was essentially that of Vardon but incorporated some of the ideas of Coburn and a club member, Mr A.E. Jenks. The new course would measure 5,785 yards and was sown with a well known brand of seed and the company guaranteed that it would be fit for play by September 29th 1908, although the fitness for play would be determined by an independent professional. The club professional, Sidney Wingate, was to stake out the new course and together with his brother Charles, the professional at Olton Golf Club, to supervise the building of the course. Despite a few teething problems with the type of seed first recommended for sowing, the course was laid out to the plan drawn by Harry Vardon on open pasture land with a few large elm trees, the hazards being a multitude of man-made bunkers, old hedgerows and thick rough. The bogey of the course was set at 78.
The Committee had also decided that a new clubhouse was to be built, to be opened on the same day as the new course. There was much debate as to the material to be used to build it and to which architects from the town would design it. Eventually, the design by the highly reputed architect F.T. Beck was chosen and the tender by local builders Wilson Lovett was accepted at a cost of £2,167 with an extra cost of £134 for slates on the roof instead of tiles. The whole project was to be completed in eighteen weeks with a penalty of £20 per week for late completion.
Although the clubhouse was used on Friday 2nd October 1908 for a Committee Meeting, the new course and clubhouse were officially opened on Saturday 3rd October 1908 at 11.00am and after the official ceremony where the Captain and still Hon. Treasurer, Mr Mein Wilkie, drove the first ball, a competition was held with a prize of one guinea for the best gross score.
When the Club moved to Tettenhall in 1908 it had 162 gentlemen and 87 lady members. The annual subscription was 5 guineas for gentlemen and £2 12s 6d for ladies and by 1910 the fees had risen to 7 guineas and £3 13s 6d respectively.
The new golf course was settling in well, the problem was its maintenance which posed quite a labour problem and by 1910 it had become too much of a problem for Thomas Weston, the Professional and Greenkeeper, who was asked to resign following many complaints. The jobs thereafter were separated and the Professional was asked to give advice on the preparation of the course.
George Tuck, who had previously been appointed as the Club Professional in the last few months of the Club’s occupancy of Penn Common, and had remained there, was reappointed in 1911 as the Professional of The South Staffordshire Golf Club.
Tuck had established a reputation as a player and became Midland Professional Champion in 1913. He was also a keen participant in ‘wager matches’ which was a method by which professionals could make extra money and he was often invited to play in many exhibition matches.
One such match took place at Danescourt on 13th May 1913 when George Duncan and Harry Vardon played with George Tuck and Len Holland. Duncan was a rising star and went on to win the Open in 1920. Vardon of course had already won the Open Championship on five occasions and later on in 1913 would be involved in the ‘greatest game ever played’ the triple play-off for the US Open with Ted Ray and the winner, Francis Ouimet.
Large crowds witnessed a medal round in the morning in which Vardon scored 68 – a new professional record for the course. In the afternoon a four ball alliance was played which Vardon and Tuck won 6 and 5. Vardon’s score was computed at 64 and he was reported to have played perfect golf. Vardon expressed his delight with the course and said how agreeably surprised he was to find it playing so well.
Large crowds gathered again on 14th May 1914 to witness Ted Ray and Sandy Herd grace the course in another exhibition match with Holland and Tuck. Herd was the 1902 Open Champion and Ray was the reigning Open Champion and would go on to win the US Open in 1920. This was to be the last of the ‘wager matches’ until after the First World War.
In 1914 the Club exercised the option, taken out in 1907, to purchase the golf course at a cost of £6,000. In order to finance this 889 Debentures were issued to members at £5 each. There was also a move by the Committee to alter some of the holes and the advice of H.S. Colt, a notable amateur golfer and course designer at the time was sought.
For the fee of 18 guineas, Colt made several suggestions including altering the first four holes and raising several greens and building new bunkers. The Committee were in favour of making the first hole longer, altering the second to a short hole across Coppice Lane and building new holes at the Eighth and Eleventh. Some of these changes were completed before the outbreak of World War I and the Eleventh hole is today much as Harry Colt left it but the re-designed Eighth no longer exists.
When the 1914-18 War broke out, The South Staffordshire Golf Club was well established on its new course and in its new clubhouse and the future seemed rosy but war would have its effects on the Club. Several members answered the call to military service; the Club’s regular ground staff was reduced from twelve to four men, three of whom were over 55 years of age. Fewer people spent money at the Club and cash flow problems emerged. Wages rose to match the shortage of labour. The Professional George Tuck went to work in a munitions factory before enlisting in the army in 1916.
The ladies’ section of the Club continued to flourish both on and off the course. Prior to the war South Staffs provided most of the Staffordshire Ladies’ Team, Mrs Perry, Mrs Mactier, Mrs Shelton and Mrs E. Bayliss. Elizabeth Bayliss won the Midland Ladies’ Championship three times, the Staffordshire Championship five times and, representing Wales, won all of her matches in the Home Internationals at Turnberry in 1921. In the nineteen twenties and thirties the playing record of the South Staffordshire Ladies was second to none.
The gentlemen also excelled with many Midlands and Staffordshire titles won between them. Jack Beddard was a regular selection for the England team and was runner up in the Amateur Championship of 1927. Also in the 1920s G J Moore represented Ireland and A R McCallum played for Scotland and was part of the Walker Cup team in Chicago in 1928. Roger Bayliss first represented England in 1929 and in that year all four of the Club’s leading golfers played in the Home Internationals. They were joined by Michael Pritchard in the 1930s.
After the end of World War I there was much work to be done to restore the course to its former condition. When war broke out the Club had been about to alter the layout of the course and change the character of some of the holes. This had largely been shelved on the outbreak of hostilities. Colt’s plans were dropped in order to give the Committee a free hand in restoring the course.
In 1923 the old Debentures became redeemable, the existing mortgage was paid off and £8,195 worth of new Debentures issued to 118 members at an interest rate of 5% per annum. Owing to heavy expenditure on the course in 1927 a further 761 Debentures were issued.
By 1923 there were 225 gentlemen, 9 restricted, 130 lady, 79 junior and 25 temporary members of the club and a considerable waiting list.
The economic depression of the 1930’s was not without its casualties at the Club and some resignations were received. In 1932 the Professional George Tuck left the Club after a long period of illness and was replaced by Bob Dornan, the Scottish Professional Champion from a list of 200 applicants.
In 1935 the Club awarded Honorary Life Membership to Mein Wilkie and if anyone could be said to be the founder of the Club it would be him. He served the Club as its Treasurer continuously from 1893 until his death in 1936. A fitting epitaph is the fine weathervane surmounting the clubhouse which captures his distinctive putting stance.
Between 1936 and 1938 work was carried out which enabled the course to assume much of its present form. James Braid was invited to draw up the plans for an improved and lengthened course. The first hole was lengthened and the green placed where it is today, the old third hole played across Coppice Lane became the second and major alterations were made to greens, tees and bunkers elsewhere on the course. In 1938 James Braid was invited back to see how his ideas had been put into effect and was very pleased with the results.
The outbreak of World War II caused major problems for the Club and the course. Labour shortages and alternative uses of the course. Once again animals were grazed on the land and potatoes were grown down the right side of the first fairway. For a short while, a search light battery was posted to the golf course and the land was also used to train local detachments of the Home Guard. There was a decline in members and rounds of golf declined remarkably from 3,722 played in 1938 to 1400 rounds played in 1940.
Several members lost their lives and by 1945 the membership was looking forward to resuming golf activities and the number of members had begun to return to pre-war levels with 214 gentlemen, 95 ladies and 39 junior members. The gentlemen paid an entrance fee of 10 guineas a year, exactly double that paid in 1908.
In forty years the Club had strengthened its membership despite two World Wars and a major economic depression, to develop into the one of the strongest golf clubs in the Midlands.
To The Centenary 1945 – 1992
The priority at the end of World War II was to get the course back to the condition it had been in during the 1930s. It was fortunate that the land had not been ploughed but it had been put to war time purposes other than golf.
In 1953 a small piece of ground at the side of the fifth hole was purchased enabling important changes to be made to the sixth tee. Apart from a few hedges and old elm trees, the course was still very open. However, this situation was about to change with the planting of a vast array of trees to screen one fairway from another.
The tree planting of the 1960’s came just in time, as within the decade, the glorious elms were struck by disease and had to come down changing the character of several holes especially the first, fourth and fifth.
In 1970 the allotments at the side of the eighteenth were purchased and the Greenkeeper’s bungalow was built in 1974.
The layout of the course itself had not changed much since 1938 when the course was lengthened and the first and second holes were altered, but the fifteenth hole has seen most of the changes which have taken place. In 1967 the golf course architect F.W. Hawtree was consulted who suggested various changes to the fifteenth hole which at the time was a short par 4 of 260 yards and known as the ‘Punchbowl’ and played from a tee to the left of the fourth green.
The green was raised, its surrounding terrain altered and then subsequently re-altered. A pool was placed at one side of the green and then subsequently reduced in size before being removed. In 1989 a start was made on a new green which was built on land recently acquired by the club and the hole would eventually become the par 3 it is today with the moving of the tee to where it is now.
In 1970 the sixteenth hole was lengthened and other alterations made by the placing of trees, and it was altered again in 1986 by the acquisition of more land into the pronounced dog-leg par 5 it is today.
Apart from decoration and refurbishment, the layout of the clubhouse had remained pretty much as it had been in the 1930s until 1966 when improvements to the kitchens, men’s locker room and staff quarters were made, and in 1978 a casual ‘back bar’ was established. In 1982 the dining room was extended and in 1987 the major structural changes were made to the Club. The casual ‘back bar’ was abandoned and a new casual bar and main bar was built. The porticoed terrace which had been a prominent feature at the front of the building since 1908 was now part of an extensively re-decorated and extended clubhouse.
In 1945 Bill Spence replaced Bob Dornan as Club Professional, and in 1949 he was followed by George Johnson who had the distinction of being nominated for the Ryder Cup team at Ganton in the same year but was not finally selected to play. George stayed until 1964 when the Club secured the services of Ted Large.
Ted came with a considerable reputation as tournament player, coach and good club professional and he certainly lived up to his promise. Almost immediately after arriving in the area he won the Staffordshire Open in 1964 and the Staffordshire Professional Championship in 1966 and again in 1967, and became the first person to hold both the Staffordshire Professional Stoke Play and Match Play titles in the same year. In 1969 he finished in the top twenty in the Open Championship won by Tony Jacklin at Royal Lytham.
When Ted left the Club in 1976, the genuine affection for him as a golfer and as a man was reflected in the presentation of a pair of silver candelabra and the rare accolade of Honorary Membership of the Club.
After a short period when a number of professionals came and went, the Club secured the services of a leading Midlands professional, Jim Rhodes in 1980. Before his arrival, Jim had already won several Midland professional tournaments and after arriving at South Staffs he added to his long list of victories with the Staffordshire Open Championship and Staffordshire Match Play Championship a further three times. He was voted Midland PGA Player of the decade and in 1987 won the European Club Professionals’ Championship in Holland.
In the 1950s many of the leading professionals of the day such as Dai Rees, and Peter Alliss came to the club to play in challenge matches for charities. In 1970, Allied Breweries decided to sponsor a new golf tournament and after a survey of thirty clubs, South Staffordshire Golf Club was chosen as the venue for the inaugural Double Diamond Tournament in October 1971. It was to be a match play tournament between teams of six players from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, each team playing the others in turn, over three days. Each match was to consist of two foursomes and six singles and the total prize money for the event was to be £10,250, with £700 per man for the winning team and on this occasion it was England.
The teams had several of the GB & Ireland stars of the day; Tommy Horton, Peter Townsend and Bernard Hunt for England, Christy O’Connor for Ireland, Bernard Gallagher for Scotland, Dai Rees and Brian Huggett for Wales.
In 1979 the club hosted the Carlsberg European Women’s Championship and in the preceding Pro-Am competition Cathy Panton set a new ladies course record of 68 shots. In Centenary Year, the club hosted the Midland Professional Championship.
As the club moved towards its Centenary celebrations its worth mentioning the rapid rise to fame of one of its members Peter Baker, who after an outstanding amateur career, described elsewhere on this website, turned professional and in 1988 defeated Nick Faldo, after a play off, to win the 1988 Benson and Hedges Tournament at Fulford, York. He was also to receive the much coveted ‘Rookie of the Year’ award in the same year.
The Centenary Onwards 1992-2010
The Centenary was celebrated by the Members and their guests with a black tie dinner at the Club on 24th October 1992 in a marquee over the putting green. Roy Carver, Chairman from 1977- 1981 was appointed Captain of the Club for the Centenary. As part of the celebrations, the Club hosted three golf tournaments during the year; the English Ladies’ Intermediate Championship, English Champion Club Tournament and the Midlands Professional Championship.
Besides the three tournaments in 1992, The South Staffordshire Golf Club has hosted amateur golf at the highest level including many County events and also many professional tournaments over the past 18 years. In 1994 the Club hosted the Staffordshire Amateur Matchplay Championship, the PGA Assistants’ Matchplay Championship and the Golf Foundation Schools Championship. In 2003 the Club hosted the British Senior Ladies’ Amateur Championship, in 2008 the U16 Boys’ International between England and Scotland and in 2010 South Staffs co-hosted along with Oxley Park Golf Club, the Midland Open Amateur Championship.
The Club currently hosts several Midland PGA Region professional tournaments each year including the three day, PGA Invitational, which is covered by the Sky TV cameras and for the first two days of the tournament the leading Midland professionals play with amateur partners.
Since the Centenary, few changes have been made to the course. In 1993, the Club bought the freehold of the No.1 practice ground from Wolverhampton Council for £38,000 and in 1994 the 15th tee was re-constructed. In 2001 a major programme of tree plantations was undertaken throughout the course. In 2003 advice was sought from golf course architect Donald Steel, on the bunkering of the course and much of his advice has now been implemented. The 3rd green was also re-built 20yds to the right of the old green, which apart from a few minor modifications, had stood the test of time since 1908!
In 1998, Rhys Thomas took over from Tom Galloway as the Club’s Course Manager. Tom had been at the Club since 1979 when he was brought from Turnberry.
Jim Rhodes, who had been appointed as the Club’s Professional in 1980 left in 1998 to pursue a career on the European Seniors Tour and has since played in over 265 Senior Tour Tournaments securing three victories; the SSL International/Sodexho Match Play Championship in 2001, the Jersey Seniors Classic in 2004 and the Nigel Mansell Sunseeker International Classic in 2005. Jim also finished third behind Gary Player and John Bland in the Senior Open at Royal Portrush in 1997. He finished tied second with Barry Lane, in the Scottish Senior Open in 2010 and still sits (in September 2015) at number 14 on the Senior Tour Career Money List. Jim was awarded life Membership when he left the club but sadly died on 4th March 2015 after a battle with cancer.
Jim’s position as Club Professional was filled by Mark Sparrow who remained at the Club until Peter Baker was appointed Director of Golf in 2004. Peter was appointed Head professional in 2009. Another notable addition to the teaching staff at the Club is Shaun Ball, who was appointed Teaching professional in 2005.
Several South Staffs Members over the period have had notable success in the Amateur game. Gerald Moore was appointed Captain of the Staffordshire County team and in the same year, Frances Ward (Williams) became Staffordshire Ladies’ Second Team Captain. In 1993 Jenny Rhodes won the Staffordshire Junior Girls’ Championship. In 1994 John Anslow became the Staffordshire Seniors Amateur Champion and in 1999 Hugh Jones also won the same Championship. In 1998, Kevin Hale was made Captain of Staffordshire Boys and also became the youngest ever Staffordshire Amateur Champion in the 75 year history of the event and in 2000 he won the Staffordshire Amateur Matchplay Championship. Kevin’s success was quickly followed in 2001 when Richard Hewitt also won the Staffordshire Amateur Matchplay Championship. The other Club Members also to win the Staffordshire Amateur Matchplay Championship are Andy Ellis in 2006 and Richard’s brother Tom in 2008.
In 2008 Sam Benton was made Captain of Staffordshire Boys’ and qualified for the Daily Telegraph Junior Event in Abu Dhabi where he came fourth in a high class field. In 2009 Sam also won the Midland Boys’ Championship and in 2010 won the Staffordshire Amateur Matchplay Championship. In 2009, Marjorie Leece was Captain of Staffordshire Veteran Ladies’ team.
In October 2008, the Club celebrated 100 Years of Golf at Danescourt in its 117th year of existence by launching its Men’s Open Tournament, The Vardon Bowl.